Fancy Pants

Chronicles of a simple girl in a sparkling world

Turning a House into a Home: Let the process begin.

Leave a comment

So, now for a fun house post as I wait to AT&T to install U-verse an hour behind schedule…

Thursday night before signing, I did a final walk through. Oh, the things you discover when everything is out of the house. Like there’s only a quarter round on part of the front entry…and the closet, pantry and laundry room have scuffs everywhere. And the paint job upstairs is less than stellar.

After the walk through, I had a list of projects I need to accomplish before moving all of my stuff over. AKA Friday when my parents come. 

  1. Paint bedroom and baseboards
  2. Paint the laundry room
  3. Paint the pantry
  4. Paint my closet
  5. Seal my kitchen cabinets
  6. Clean the baseboards in the downstairs
  7. Clean the refrigerator
  8. Clean out and line cabinets

As you might remember me saying, I was really glad I found an updated house that didn’t require me to do any work other than aesthetics. Once I found the house, I couldn’t wait to start decorating it. I knew EXACTLY what I wanted to do my bedroom in – grey, white, and pink. Super girly, super me. 🙂 The rest of the house? NO IDEA. So, I just went with it and just decided to pick things as I went.

Knowing that I’d have to paint my bedroom to make it exactly what I wanted, I called in on my two best helpers – Brittney and Stephanie. My conversation with Stephanie was quite amazing – turns out, she didn’t have anything better to do than paint my house. 😉 My sister is AMAZING at free handing trim. Me, I can roll like it’s going out of style. (They see us rollin’, they hatin’. Totally just kidding. But we did sing that a couple of times). And, Stephanie, she rolls and paints baseboards like Picasso.

Lucky for me (and them really), I like the color of the common areas so I am holding off on painting those until I have more of a decoration lead on them. I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t have come if we had to do more than we did.

Anyways, Friday after I signed my life away the papers, I went to Bouquets and we had lunch. Then, Uncle Looch and I went to Lowe’s to get paint supplies and samples. Trip 1 of 4 for the weekend under my belt – check. I picked two colors of grey. One I thought I’d like and then a darker one. After that trip was over, Aunt Steph and I headed down to the house to put colors on the wall. Uncle Looch was headed there after he dropped Murphy off for his staycation, since they are in Cabo San Lucas right now. Jerks. 😉

I ended up picking the paint I thought I would. Guess I know myself pretty well after 24 years minus 8 days. Once I picked the color, Aunt Steph and I headed to Home Depot for trip #2 to purchase the actual paint.

In order to get to my house, you turn by a Shop & Carry Convenience store. I live exactly 1 mile from the best shopping center here in Austin. I have everything I need (except HomeGoods) in there. There’s kinda a joke that the Shop & Carry is where I’ll do all of my beer runs. So, when Uncle Looch was on his way over, he stopped at the Shop & Carry to get the first beers for my house! 🙂 What kind? Dos Equis, duh. We couldn’t wait for Stephanie and Brittney so we had the first celebratory beers before they got here. Then, another when they did get here!


First beers in the new house!


Celebratory Prosecco at Winflo Friday night!


Saturday morning started out with me and Stephanie taking Aunt Steph and Uncle Looch to the airport. Then we went home to get Brittney to go to the lake to run. Luckily, it was too packed and so we went to Juan in a Million for breakfast tacos instead. Fair trade I think.


After breakfast, we got busy with my bedroom. Finished everything except the baseboards. Got most of the laundry room done – just had the trim to finish. Didn’t start the pantry or the closet.


We did a dang good job on my walls and baseboards! I am so in love with it!


This one still has the tape on it, but gives another angle. Love love love my room. Can’t wait to see it totally set up!

After we did that, we took a break for the fun stuff – SHOPPING!!!!

First stop. Best Buy for a tv. First problem – cute sales boy, Tyler, and we look ROUGH. He’s showing me tvs and I pick one; a Samsung 50” Smart TV. Then he asks what kind of mount I want – flat or tilted. Umm, sorry what kind of mount? For the tv? My mind went straight to the gutter and so did the giggling girls (Steph and Britt) behind me! Anyways, Steph and Britt were hoping I’d get a date, but I’m pretty sure this poor kid just wanted to get rid of us!

Second stop was for the most important appliance – my keurig! I need a sign that says “Coffee addict – please don’t talk to me before cup 2”! In between getting my tv and loading it is when I got my keurig. So when they went to load my tv, I noticed there wasn’t the mounting piece. After all of that, I forgot the freaking wall mount and have to go face this cute boy again and talk about mounting?! Oh well, gotta do whatcha gotta do. Unfortunately, he was on his break so I didn’t get to see his adorable face again. Luckily, he has my name and phone number from my purchase. Maybe one day he’ll call. 😉

We went back to the house, unloaded my tv and keurig and then started back north. On our way home, we stopped at World Market. I realllllllllllllllly want to do 2 patterned chairs in my living room, but I REFUSE to pay a fortune for them. Friday night, Aunt Steph found a super cute patterned ottoman on the World Market website so I wanted to see if they had chairs in store. Of course not, but they did have some super cute stuff.

After World Market, we detoured to Banana Republic because Brittney had a coupon and needed to use it that weekend. we had awesome customer service from another Tyler. We just decided we liked all Tylers that weekend!

On our way home, Steph googled Pier 1 and they, too, were out of my chair budget. I knew I wanted to go to HomeGoods so we made a last minute stop there. CHA CHINGGG! I hit the jackpot. Got 2 chairs, sheets, pillows for my bed, and throw pillows. WINNING.

Now, to the couch – something else I refuse to spend a lot of money on. Oh, and dinner. We wanted to watch the Texans vs. Falcons game because my best friend who plays for the Texans (Hunter #66) and another guy from high school were playing each other (Bartu #59). We decided earlier on Pluckers for dinner. Originally we were going to shop, shower, then dinner. But shopping took our shower time so we got food to go. The Rooms-to-Go is RIGHT next to Pluckers so we picked out my couch in about 20 minutes. (I knew pretty much what I wanted there.) Only requirement is that is has to be good for napping, because napping is important in my life. Then we got our food, went home, ate, and crashed while watching the Texans game. Sorry, I missed your sack, David. Still love you and am proud of you though! 🙂

After a good nights rest, Sunday we got up early and ate at Kerbey Lane. I was sad knowing that Britt and Steph had to head out kinda early in the day. We had to finish the baseboards in my room, finish the laundry room, seal the cabinets and do the pantry.

Brittney and Stephanie did my room and Brittney finished the laundry room since it was the ceiling and she is the trim queen. I started sealing cabinets and touching up the laundry room. After they finished my baseboards, it was pretty much time for them to go. We went and ate lunch then they were on their way. 😦

I definitely could not have accomplished as much as I did this weekend without them!

After they left, I went home and took a nap then went back south for a couple of hours. I found out that my watering day is Sunday (yes, we are on rationed water) and my trash day is Monday. So, I for sure had to go back and do those things. I finished sealing the cabinets, put the gloss on my laundry room shelf, pulled weeds, and watered the grass. I now know why pulling weeds is a chore. It takes way longer than you think!

Also, while pulling weeds, I met my neighbor! She is so nice and I’m so happy that I have a nice couple next to me! When I finished those things, I headed home and passed out!


Today, I had an appointment to have AT&T set up my U-verse as I mentioned earlier. It was just supposed to take a couple of hours. I was hoping to make it by Home Depot (again) to get a roller brush so I could do my closet while the tech was doing U-verse. Well, I was running late (anyone see a theme in my life?) and didn’t have the chance to. Oh, and he stayed until 5:15 p.m. So much for a 2 hour appointment. 

Well, no worries. I got my Keurig set up, cleaned the frige and freezer, finalized sealing my cabinets, put the second coat of gloss on my laundry room shelf, got the first and second coats of paint in my pantry, put the gloss on my pantry shelves.


Pantry shelf before paint.


Pantry shelf after paint.

So, now all I have to do before I can officially move in is clean baseboards and the big thing PAINT MY CLOSET. I have to do this tomorrow. MUST DO IT.

I have tv and internet. No tvs connected yet, but I have capability. 

Also, I finally got to show off my house to a friend. Thanks for coming by, Ilissa! 🙂

Sorry this is such a long post. I’ve been a busy, busy homeowner! Haha. Still like that I can say that! I can’t wait until I can start putting up pictures of finished products!!! 

Hope you all have a fabulous night! It’s time for me to watch Johnny Football BTHO the Redskins!


Go browns!







Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s